Worlds 2024 Pairs FS: ‘The wedgie always gets its woman’

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Didn't Tamara fix Kyoko Ina's throws when she paired up with Zimmerman, or am I misremembering?

I haven't seen throws this bad since then. Ina and Zimmerman in their first season were only attempting one throw (salchow), and Kyoko almost never landed it. Get Kam and O'Shea to whomever fixed their throws.
I don't remember their elements exactly, but I don't remember Kyoko having tremendous problems on throw jumps before that. She and Dungjen were often doing their throws right into SBS jumps or other elements because she was pretty solid on them.

Back then, I think teams could repeat the same throw so maybe they indeed were just doing Salchows 2x. But that was the late 90s where many teams were opting for throw 3T (which almost always looked strange IMO) or 2A's anyways.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So...who can teach K/O a proper throw technique? Clearly Meekins is not getting it done.
Any number of coaches? TeamTodd&Jenni, SCoB, the Cains - all of them have produced solid pairs teams with good throws. I might even tell them to try Oakton with Chris & Timothy there now.

Karen-W

If Spencer heals. This was rough and I'm not sure they should have been sent. At least with L/N, we'd still get Nagy to look at.
Because Chelsea's jumps or throws would have been any better? Spencer is just as pretty as Balasz so it's a draw on the eye candy front. Emily & Spencer deserve at least a little credit and consideration for their 5th place finish and GPF-qualifying season last year, so I'm fine with the USFS giving them this spot.

Also, rumor is that Chelsea couldn't land any jumps at the skate-off the USFS had for Chan/Howe and Liu/Nagy in Vegas during Synchro Nats.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
These backstage shots are starting to make me have dance recital flashbacks. Any second now, my mother is going to assault me with bobby pins and Aqua Net while my six year old self inappropriately writhes around in a gold lame bathing-suit thing with huge peacock feathers on my back to Strut by Sheena Easton. And little silver tap heels.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Because Chelsea's jumps or throws would have been any better? Spencer is just as pretty as Balasz so it's a draw on the eye candy front. Emily & Spencer deserve at least a little credit and consideration for their 5th place finish and GPF-qualifying season last year, so I'm fine with the USFS giving them this spot.

Also, rumor is that Chelsea couldn't land any jumps at the skate-off the USFS had for Chan/Howe and Liu/Nagy in Vegas during Synchro Nats.
ok but jumps are just whatever because this is us pairs so what if we had chan/howe and liu/nagy and just let spencer and balasz do all the heavy work

Baby Yoda On Skates

I was thinking more of the lifts and just general practice. C/H just looked rough and undertrained.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
ok but jumps are just whatever because this is us pairs so what if we had chan/howe and liu/nagy and just let spencer and balasz do all the heavy work
Balasz with the right partner could shoot up into World medalist contenders in less than a season, I'm sure of it. I know there's 'not much' option in the US, but it has to be frustrating for the partners (and it's not always the men) who constantly get through their stuff while the other one almost always fails.

I remember Volosozhar used to be rock solid and it was her former partner Morozov who was usually faltering and holding back the team from breaking through. And then she found the right partner.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Balasz with the right partner could shoot up into World medalist contenders in less than a season, I'm sure of it. I know there's 'not much' option in the US, but it has to be frustrating for the partners (and it's not always the men) who constantly get through their stuff while the other one almost always fails.
100% and I'm side eying every us singles skaters trying to figure out who looks brave enough for pairs (I know Audrey Shin has been trying and surely she could get a 3t and 3s around)

Amy L

I thought he would have ultimately done well in Hungary with a good enough rental Russian. But Hungary is all Russians no Hungarians right now so Balasz will have to make do!

CassAgain

I've said it before, but it really does look like she goes into protective mode for a fall from the start. She pulls everything in really close but not in a way that is good jumping air position. And a lot of times she kind of hunches her shoulders and sort of loosens her legs to take the fall.
My daughter is a college track athlete. Since middle school, coaches have tried to train her in hurdles because she has the perfect body for them. She has a complete mental block though and cannot jump a hurdle. She tried for years, but she would do exactly what you wrote—protect herself from falling. I feel really bad for Ellie.

Karen-W

I was thinking more of the lifts and just general practice. C/H just looked rough and undertrained.
I get it, but I also don't think it was the wrong choice for the USFS from a strategic POV. Liu/Nagy are already guaranteed 1 GP next season since they're sitting at 14 on the SB list. Getting Chan/Howe to Worlds gave them a reasonable shot of also getting onto the SB list and guaranteeing them 1 GP (probably 2 if they can maintain their WS in the Top 24). I'm not at all convinced that Liu/Nagy would have done any better than Chan/Howe here - their SB is lower than what Kam/O'Shea scored today. So, at least give Chan/Howe a shot (and it also keeps them in the Team Envelopes for funding).

skatingguy

decently
Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL 🇩🇪
Personal Best: 125.70
Season Best: 125.70
Current Rank: 7
Music: Without You (Extended) by Ursine Vulpine & Annaca
Coach: Ondrej Hotarek, Rosanna Murante

2023 European bronze medalists. 2023 National Champions. Ranked 7th at 2024 & 2020 ECh, 13th at 2022 ECh. Placed 9th at 2023 WCh & 13th in their debut at 2021 WCh. Finished 4th at 2020 WJCh. Won GP Skate America 2023 & were 4th at GP Cup of China 2023. Qualified for GP Final, but withdrew due to a back injury of Kunkel. Also missed 2024 NCh. First GER Pair Skaters to qualify for the ISU Junior GP Final (in 2019). She is a 2018 Olympian with former partner Ruben Blommaert. Train in Italy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information