WJC24 Junior Pairs SP

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Well, USA looks really good for Pairs, can someone please refresh my morning cocktail. For the junior Grand Prix season next year what do teams need to do here to get three spots or two spots in the junior grand prix series

barbk

No - they are only eligible this season for Junior because they competed last season, and were given an exemption because he's too old for junior.
Why were they given an exemption? I'm not clear why skating last season would get anyone an age exemption, so I'm clearly out of the loop.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Because the age rules changes started at his season, they retroactively allowed teams that were already together last season to apply for an exemption rather than break up. As far as I know, they were the only ones to take advantage of it. Baram/Tioumentsev and Murakami/Muraguchi, who would have been electable, split.

The ISU has grandfathered skaters before, sometimes based on prior results, which is how it applied to Sarah Hughes.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, USA looks really good for Pairs, can someone please refresh my morning cocktail. For the junior Grand Prix season next year what do teams need to do here to get three spots or two spots in the junior grand prix series
Top 4 nations are entitled to 3 spots at all 4 JGPs next season. USA is looking VERY good to maintain that next season and Canada will certainly also benefit from having 3 spots at all 4 JGPs as well.
Because the age rules changes started at his season, they retroactively allowed teams that were already together last season to apply for an exemption rather than break up. As far as I know, they were the only ones to take advantage of it. Baram/Tioumentsev and Murakami/Muraguchi, who would have been electable, split.

The ISU has grandfathered skaters before, sometimes based on prior results, which is how it applied to Sarah Hughes.
Schmitz/Taylor of Canada also benefited from the exemption - though they wound up splitting after Canadian Nats and did not fare well on the JGP anyways, so they were never in the mix for the JWC assignments.

skatingguy

decently
Why were they given an exemption? I'm not clear why skating last season would get anyone an age exemption, so I'm clearly out of the loop.
As others have stated, it's because the senior eligibility rules were changed, and the age requirement started to increase - goes to 17 starting next season - so junior pairs teams that competed before the change were allowed to compete internationally as juniors for this season - this applied to only a handful of teams, and Ackermann/Harms are the only team competing at this event.

skatingguy

decently
The Georgians told GoldenSkate they'd consider staying junior another year if the age rules are changed. :shuffle:

There's an excellent reason not to change the current rules.

I’m sure they won’t mind going to another Junior World Championships :rolleyes:

If that happens, they should skate to Forever Young by Alphaville.
I think Metelkina/Berulava were trolling us. I was looking at the age eligibility again, and Anastasiia Metelkina turns 19 next month so they wouldn't be competing in Juniors next season no matter what happens with the rules surrounding the men.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think Metelkina/Berulava were trolling us. I was looking at the age eligibility again, and Anastasiia Metelkina turns 19 next month so they wouldn't be competing in Juniors next season no matter what happens with the rules surrounding the men.
Unless the age max is raised for both men and women in juniors. I've seen some comments floating around that indicate the ISU is looking at raising it not just for pairs men but also for dance men and possibly for the women in both disciplines as well.

Having said that, I don't think there's a bat's chance in heck that MetBeru do another season on the JGP next year. I could see them coming back for just Jr Worlds if they're age-eligible though.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

OK I’m at the YouTubes trying to watch this entire thing, and I’m halfway through and ANL has notes

Did Timothy Leduc join Alexa and Chris in the Chicagoland area as a coach?

And has the best pairs figure skating woman of all time Natalia formed a coaching team with Drew Meekins? Is that a thing?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I quite enjoyed Naomi and Lachlan in fact, that may be my favorite performance of the short program

That was one interesting lift position

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Yes, last year.

Natalia M. has been coaching with Drew M. in Colorado Springs for a while now. :)

All these A-Listers, right where I grew up. And Gracie at a bookstore yesterday, right where I almost lived.

I just adore Natalia, I don’t understand how she’s not the go to coach in USA pairs!!! But I do see she is coaching more and more students

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oakton Ice Arena in Park Ridge, IL.

Did I ever mention that I was born in Park Ridge, Illinois? And so was Miss Hillary Rodham. And then I went to Oakton community college for one semester before moving to California. And then eventually attending and graduating Loyola Marymount University where Timothy Goebel took some classes.

The more you know 💫💫💫

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information