Skate Canada 2023 Free Dance - There's a Rat in Me Kitchen, What Am I Gonna Do?

AYS

šŸŒ»
I have to be honest, I haven't been a fan of any F/G programs to date, but I'm into Rocky. Kind of like I'm the only one I know who likes the Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, because of Danny Elfman's Oompa-Loompa numbers. It just hits on that level. :lol:

Or maybe it's because I live in the land of Rocky.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I feel like I should like it more than I actually do. I donā€™t have it, but I donā€™t love it? Iā€™m not sure why either. I feel like Iā€™m being told I should and Iā€™m just not there?

I feel exactly the same way. I missed the live event but I watched the program later. It has some really nice moments and it's beautifully performed, but it just didn't hang together for me. Although I did get the feeling that it will improve with some competitive mileage on it.

However, the program would be much more improved without that grabbing-the-judges'-table move. Piper and Paul are emoting quite enough, and quite convincingly, during the rest of the program. That move is completely unnecessary - their choreography and expression is fine, they don't need to pander to the judges. They're better than that.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I feel exactly the same way. I missed the live event but I watched the program later. It has some really nice moments and it's beautifully performed, but it just didn't hang together for me. Although I did get the feeling that it will improve with some competitive mileage on it.

However, the program would be much more improved without that grabbing-the-judges'-table move. Piper and Paul are emoting quite enough, and quite convincingly, during the rest of the program. That move is completely unnecessary - their choreography and expression is fine, they don't need to pander to the judges. They're better than that.
Also I wish it had more of a build to the end. I watched it in the arena and again on a big screen at home and found that all the intensity and drama is in the first half. Some of that to finish with, to build with toward the end would help I think.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I have to be honest, I haven't been a fan of any F/G programs to date, but I'm into Rocky. Kind of like I'm the only one I know who likes the Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, because of Danny Elfman's Oompa-Loompa numbers. It just hits on that level. :lol:

Or maybe it's because I live in the land of Rocky.
I like it too in a guilty-pleasure way. And of course Iā€™m a native of Rockyville too.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
After seeing both C/B and G/P, I'm thinking G/P are maybe in better shape even though if they went head-to-head TODAY, I'd give it to C/B. C/B's routine is technically stronger and in a lot of ways better thought out, but I don't see that it has many ways in which it can grow and improve of increase an emotional connection with each other or to the audience. C/B need a theme to be at their best--even if it's just for them, they need a storyline :lol:

It is a routine, a good one. G/P on the other hand have all sorts of ways I think to improve on what's a good start--good theme, good music, good dancers. It is also an actual dance at parts, not just a routine of element to element. It tells a story that's recognizable whether you are familiar with Wuthering Heights or not.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Watching the free dance. I was really impressed with the Browns. Seven children? Of the two who is older?

Piper and husband, yes, his shirt is different but because itā€™s different I donā€™t mind it. I also like his new hairstyle. When it was mentioned Wuthering Heights, I thought it was gonna be the Kate Bush song. That would have been epic.

I do think Iā€™m getting over the theatrics at the boards, so much of it this season

Nice ending for Piper and husband. I do think itā€™s gonna be an interesting top Two at the worlds between Madison and Evan and them, Madison and Evan, having the interesting concept as usual and complexity, and Piper and husband just going out and doing a brilliant dance.

skatingguy

decently
What has happen with Wang and Liu and the Australian dance team that theyā€™re not getting the scores they used to?
The Australians had some technical issues in the program, and the Chinese have clearly lost a lot of training time the past few years between COVID restrictions, and injury. This is a rebuilding season for Wang/Liu, and clearly watching the kiss'n cry reaction I was seeing Hagueneur was providing them with some positives to look at, and that these scores are not unexpected.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
The Australians had some technical issues in the program, and the Chinese have clearly lost a lot of training time the past few years between COVID restrictions, and injury. This is a rebuilding season for Wang/Liu, and clearly watching the kiss'n cry reaction I was seeing Hagueneur was providing them with some positives to look at, and that these scores are not unexpected.
Thank You

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I haven't thought about Wuthering Heights since I had to read it in the '80s, but I caught an episode of Harry Wild last week and they were talking about it. What stuck with me was the line (I'm paraphrasing) "(i)magine a love so intense you want to dig up a corpse." So that's all I could think about during G/P's skate. They are never dull, that's for sure. I hope they win Worlds, there I said it. :)

Steph

Finally, an original. But should siblings be skating to it?
Late to the thread, but sure. The assumption that romance/attraction can only be plausible in performance if it's plausible outside of performance has always been nonsense anyhow - imo the only purpose it serves is to keep skaters in the closet - so siblings might as well just skate what they like. Do the raunchiest tango, do Bolero*, idgaf - it's just performance.

*ok, not actually Bolero, nobody should do Bolero

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
It is a routine, a good one. G/P on the other hand have all sorts of ways I think to improve on what's a good start--good theme, good music, good dancers. It is also an actual dance at parts, not just a routine of element to element. It tells a story that's recognizable whether you are familiar with Wuthering Heights or not.
I think the storyline (or more generally, what theyā€™re trying to say with the programme) is a good part of why Iā€™m still not connecting with F/Gā€™s Rocky despite the improvements. Iā€™ve never seen the film and Iā€™m not getting a sense of the story, of the film or otherwise, from them. Theyā€™re boxing and Lilah is the winner? Or Lewis is the winner and Lilah is the trophy? But also Mark Hanretty said itā€™s about empowering women in sport?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think the storyline (or more generally, what theyā€™re trying to say with the programme) is a good part of why Iā€™m still not connecting with F/Gā€™s Rocky despite the improvements. Iā€™ve never seen the film and Iā€™m not getting a sense of the story, of the film or otherwise, from them. Theyā€™re boxing and Lilah is the winner? Or Lewis is the winner and Lilah is the trophy? But also Mark Hanretty said itā€™s about empowering women in sport?
:rofl:

Kateri

void beast
I got the vibe that she was the boxer, and he was her coach, but I could be wrong. The whole thing doesn't really hold together.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A weird narrative that Piper and Paul were immediately embraced by Canadian homers due to their schmaltziness. They were certainly not. Besides Virtue and Moir and Poje and Weaver, a large segment rooted for Paul and Islam.

Definitely. A lot of ice dance fans thought their programs were just weird (which of course is why I immediately started watching out for them :lol:).

VGThuy

I think theyā€™re taking the basic idea of Rocky that many people know, and giving it a twist and making Lilah the boxer and Lewis the coach. I think itā€™s quite clever actually. Letā€™s just say, sheā€™s now playing Rocky in an updated retelling.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
A weird narrative that Piper and Paul were immediately embraced by Canadian homers due to their schmaltziness. They were certainly not. Besides Virtue and Moir and Poje and Weaver, a large segment rooted for Paul and Islam.
I remember being one of the few people that liked Piper & Paul. They were my favourite Canadian ice dance team after Weaver & Poje for a long time.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Piper used to get a lot of flack for not being in the same league as her partner. They first year they went to GPF there were some snarky comments from Americans about how she did an end-run around her middling status here.

She worked and worked and while she will never be the queen of technique, sheā€™s such a polished and expressive performer that sheā€™s earned her spot at the top. IMO anyway.

AYS

šŸŒ»
Just think if they'd been Rocky and Adrienne. The skating scene would have choreographed itself. But obviously Lilah running around punching the air would have been pretty weird.

Re: Piper and Paul (whom I've liked from the start), many people around were negative about them, some for many seasons, in part due to people perceptions of Piper's level vs Paul as PRlady says (when it was always apparent she brought more than her share of the unique style and expression to the team), but also ye olde "I liked the previous partner and they done her wrong" narrative. I mean, that narrative has colored people's views of C/B for their entire careers. All I can say about that is Paul traded up, sorry.

skatingguy

decently
All I can say about that is Paul traded up, sorry.
That's such a terrible turn of phrase. In this period when were trying to get female partners in ice dance, and pairs not seen as disposable accessories for their clearly superior male partners can we just acknowledge that for a variety of reasons the previous partnership wasn't working, and Poirier ended the partnership to look for other opportunities.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Re: Piper and Paul. She wasn't as good as Paul when they started. Vanessa was a much stronger skater. So that criticism that Piper wasn't as good as Paul was justified. To me those are facts.

But Paul can skate with whoever he wants. Piper brings a lot to the partnership. And they have had some really good programs with justified success. Vincent for one, and I am LOVING Wuthering Heights.

Kaitlyn Weaver also was not as good as Andrew when they first started. And she and Andrew were justifiably placed behind Crone/Poirier in that Olympic season dispute some of the whining that occurred around that. Crone/Poirier were very promising, well matched team that were beautiful to watch.

But both Piper and Kaitlyn got to a place where the partnerships worked for both teams and they earned their spots amongst the top.

Same thing with Chock/Bates. They have found a style that really works for them. There is a reason their original version of last years FD wasn't successful.

It's always glaring in the early years when a team consists of two skaters who are not on the same skill level because the stronger partner is always holding back. So as a viewer, a fan, you never get that sense of abandon and really get into the performance like you would for teams that are really well matched from the start.

I won't name them all, or any more, but it's obvious when we see them. What I have learned, and others can, is that just because we loved two skaters together that it doesn't matter. It's their choice and if they are happier with another partner that is weaker there is time for them to succeed. As all of the above did.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Because the program isn't weird already? :D

That's not the line - Lilah's character in the dance is meant to be an example of empowering women in sport.

That's what they might be saying, but still hahahaha no. Not criticizing you, @skatingguy - I know you're just passing along the explanation - but empowering women in sport is way more nuanced than letting a woman be Rocky. Women in sports are facing many barriers, including skating federations that won't do anything meaningful about abusive coaching and harmful norms of physical appearance.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'd have to go back and listen again -- which I can't do, as replays are gone -- but at the time, I got the impression that it was just a line Mark let drop in passing, and not a statement about the program's intention. Something along the lines of "Lilah's playing a strong character, and of course this team feels strongly about empowering women in sports," etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information