2024 4CC RD - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (in the audience)

skatingguy

decently
Everyone that was initially level 3 on the pattern step was reviewed down a level accept for Green/Parsons who went from 3 to 1. Thanks for the mixed zone quote @victorskid re: the deduction for Lauriault/le Gac. I'll have to watch that back, and compare it to previous competitions to see the difference. All play-by-play posts have been updated with levels after reviews.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m caught up and am sick of the 80s. Reagan, inflation over 10%, mortgage rates north of 15%, male wanna be business suits on women, dark L’Eggs control top pantyhose, perms, heavy earrings, uncomfortable shoes. Did I leave anything out?

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but I am liking the scores! Super happy for CarPon, Z/K and K/K (good for them!). Glad to see Piper and Paul on top.

bladesofgorey

I’m caught up and am sick of the 80s. Reagan, inflation over 10%, mortgage rates north of 15%, male wanna be business suits on women, dark L’Eggs control top pantyhose, perms, heavy earrings, uncomfortable shoes. Did I leave anything out?
My flock of seagulls spiked faux-hawk with a 3 foot rattail. 1/2 can of hairspray or a packet of unflavored gelatin and an hour upside down with a blowdryer every other day, what wasn't to love?

Jammers

Yeah the 80's sucked the first time for anyone who lived during that decade.

quartz

scratching at the light
I loved the 80’s. But I didn’t wear pantyhose very often - definitely never wore uncomfortable shoes or a business suit, was too young to worry about a mortgage, and I looked fabulous with a perm and big dangly earrings.
My first full time job paid $3.85 an hour, and then when I got my factory job, it was $4.80 an hour, so a pretty nice income.
I actually had my first and only boyfriend!! Our first apartment was the entire main level of an 1890’s house chock full of gorgeous original features. We moved in with a double bed, a 16inch colour tv, a dresser, a kickass stereo system, and my gorgeous Siamese kitty. For a while we had lawn chairs and coolers as our livingroom furniture. We partied the entire decade. It was a blast!

quartz

scratching at the light
I only got body perms - just had to do a quick upside down blow dry, fluff it into place and a few blasts of flexible hold hairspray (NOT that awful aquanet stuff).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Spiral perm FTW here! Those were all the rage by the time that stuff mattered. I always thought the Mark Wills song "19-Something" pretty much hit my childhood/teenage on the head.

Messalina

I loved the 80’s. But I didn’t wear pantyhose very often - definitely never wore uncomfortable shoes or a business suit, was too young to worry about a mortgage, and I looked fabulous with a perm and big dangly earrings.
My first full time job paid $3.85 an hour, and then when I got my factory job, it was $4.80 an hour, so a pretty nice income.
I also loved the '80s (besides the horrific teenage/college angst, which I imagine pervades all decades). The music. The clothing. The huge dangly heart earrings. Saving up all my hard-earned cash to spend at Commander Salamander in DC. Going into Georgetown on Friday nights to see Rocky Horror Picture Show. Seeing great unknowns (soon to be famous) at the 9:30 Club for a pittance. Sneaking into the reggae club. Crossing the border into DC just to buy beer because the drinking age was still 18 there.

For my first job as a waitress at Friendly's I had to wear a blue checked 100% polyester dress with those hideous tan-colored L'Eggs pantyhose. They were torture devices that transformed your thighs into sausage sheaths. Yet no other hose could last an entire shift. They were most horrid in the summer. I tried to go without (since I still tanned in the 80s, yes, with baby oil), but my boss always busted me.

I left for a prestigious (I thought) lifeguard job, which paid $1.65/hour, no tips and no free food, and consisted of utter boredom spiked with abject terror. And the all-day babysitting of other people's free-roaming bratlings. The good times/

ETA: Oops, I thought this was a different thread completely! :lol:

Let me get on point by saying that Piper's costume fails the '80s test for me. It looks like another one of those getups that someone who didn't experience the '80s might dream up. The colors are pretty good, but the styling - no.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Let me get on point by saying that Piper's costume fails the '80s test for me. It looks like another one of those getups that someone who didn't experience the '80s might dream up. The colors are pretty good, but the styling - no.
THANK YOU for saying this. I thought I was going nuts with everyone praising it so much. Like a lot of these outfits, it's close. But it's also off. And I think the colors are a bit off too. They are close but not quite it.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I also loved the '80s (besides the horrific teenage/college angst, which I imagine pervades all decades). The music. The clothing. The huge dangly heart earrings. Saving up all my hard-earned cash to spend at Commander Salamander in DC. Going into Georgetown on Friday nights to see Rocky Horror Picture Show. Seeing great unknowns (soon to be famous) at the 9:30 Club for a pittance. Sneaking into the reggae club. Crossing the border into DC just to buy beer because the drinking age was still 18 there.

For my first job as a waitress at Friendly's I had to wear a blue checked 100% polyester dress with those hideous tan-colored L'Eggs pantyhose. They were torture devices that transformed your thighs into sausage sheaths. Yet no other hose could last an entire shift. They were most horrid in the summer. I tried to go without (since I still tanned in the 80s, yes, with baby oil), but my boss always busted me.
Oh I love that post. I was in a room so tiny in a Glover Park rowhouse it fit a twin bed, tiny nightstand and small dresser. I had a wardrobe of L’Eggs when I dropped out of Georgetown grad school for my grungy entry-level jobs. Remember when it was great if your date took you to Clyde’s? And as curly as my hair is, I still permed it to make it bigger. :scream:

Former Lurve Goddess

THANK YOU for saying this. I thought I was going nuts with everyone praising it so much. Like a lot of these outfits, it's close. But it's also off. And I think the colors are a bit off too. They are close but not quite it.
I thought the same. In general, most of the 80s RD costumes have nothing to do with the 80s. Where's the spiky hair, the faux Doc Marten boot covers, the tights under cut off jeans, the parachute pants, the jeans with zippers at the bottom, the goth jewelry, etc?

quartz

scratching at the light
L’eggs were for the fancy girls. If I needed pantyhose it was the 69 cent ones from Kmart.
I had such cute clothes back then and an hourglass figure and if I still had that figure, I’d still be wearing most of my stuff from then. The only thing I’ve kept is a few pieces of jewelry, a turquoise/purple/silver scarf and my silver metallic wedding dress.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Ironically, my figure is better now. Plus I care less and wear what I want. Still won't wear a lot of that 80s stuff. Even in the 80s a lot of it made my eyes roll into the back of my head. Not the Cyndi Lauper/Madonna/Stevie Nicks look but the neon colors, leg warmers, a la Olivia Newton John and Jane Fondda. Also the big hair but that might have been jealousy.

I did like the shoulder pads but only because my shoulders are narrow. The exaggerated ones were a big No from me.

I would wear Madonna's Lucky Star outfit today! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information