Football 2022-2023, Quarterbacks, Tight ends...men in tight pants

myhoneyhoney

The defense guy was pulling on the jersey. I don’t know why they kept slowing down to show the other one after the pulling.

sk8pics

I found the ending to be a dud. They should have done the touchdown even with a minute left. This is football not chess.
This is exactly what I thought. Very disappointing that it ended that way. Now, I’m not a football fan but I was definitely sort of rooting for the Eagles, but I think I would have found it disappointing even if it had been the Eagles who played that way at the end.
KC drained all the time they could, before kicking the FG. A FG is never a guarantee, even from a short distance. However, leaving just 8 seconds for Eagles ensured that They would not score and win.
I just hate sports where a team drains the clock and doesn’t really play to win in that time. Now, I understand the whole strategy thing, the whole chess game thing, I just disagree. If you are so sure you’re the better team, score the touchdown, get the extra point, and then stop the other team. That’s what real champions would do. (I know this is probably an unpopular opinion…)

I agree with that assessment. I don't think the holding call was an outright robbery, but it was close- a judgment call- as the Fox team said. The Eagles player did put his hand on the back of the KC receiver, though it is hard to tell from a picture if he grabbed him. The official had a better view. I think it was not eligible for a review.
I read this morning that Eagles player admitted he did grab the jersey and the call was correct. (See, I’m so little of a fan I don’t even know his name.)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is exactly what I thought. Very disappointing that it ended that way. Now, I’m not a football fan but I was definitely sort of rooting for the Eagles, but I think I would have found it disappointing even if it had been the Eagles who played that way at the end.

I just hate sports where a team drains the clock and doesn’t really play to win in that time. Now, I understand the whole strategy thing, the whole chess game thing, I just disagree. If you are so sure you’re the better team, score the touchdown, get the extra point, and then stop the other team. That’s what real champions would do. (I know this is probably an unpopular opinion…)

I read this morning that Eagles player admitted he did grab the jersey and the call was correct. (See, I’m so little of a fan I don’t even know his name.)
Sports is not just about athletic skills. There is Brainy stuff called strategy. That’s what I love about football.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
People think it's brilliant to plan a skating program to maximize the points?
Or plan gymnastics programs to maximize points
Or a number of other things in life

Cachoo

Sports is not just about athletic skills. There is Brainy stuff called strategy. That’s what I love about football.
Me too. I'm a diehard Chiefs fan. But I do get why people are bummed about that call. My thought is if he wouldn't have grabbed Ju-Ju and Ju-Ju scored then the Eagles would still have a minute to get back down the field. The same if it was a field goal. But it happened and the game ended. I do think the Philadelphia coach and player involved were both honest and classy about the whole situation.

Looking back now I'm surprised about the ease Mahomes had on the field in the second half. I remember a few years back against San Francisco it was so difficult to move the ball even a little. That defense was so good and Mahomes finally found some breathing room at the end of the game. But, comparatively, this half was not difficult. I found that strange given their defensive reputation.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think both teams played well on both sides of the ball. For two teams who lead in quarterback sacks - I don't think there were any sacks the entire game?

Clock management is part of the game. Hurts played it that way too. They almost always waited until 1 second left on the clock before starting the plays. They even took a penalty to avoid using a time out.

I believe, if you want to nitpick every ref call - the call that Eagles player had a confirmed catch, or the start the yardage/down over because substitution whatever (I didn't understand it, and 99% of people didn't either) could be ref favoring Eagles. My basic rule on flags/refs is they are doing the best they can and get it right 99.8% of the time.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Me too. I'm a diehard Chiefs fan. But I do get why people are bummed about that call. My thought is if he wouldn't have grabbed Ju-Ju and Ju-Ju scored then the Eagles would still have a minute to get back down the field. The same if it was a field goal. But it happened and the game ended. I do think the Philadelphia coach and player involved were both honest and classy about the whole situation.

Looking back now I'm surprised about the ease Mahomes had on the field in the second half. I remember a few years back against San Francisco it was so difficult to move the ball even a little. That defense was so good and Mahomes finally found some breathing room at the end of the game. But, comparatively, this half was not difficult. I found that strange given their defensive reputation.
In the first half, when the Eagles were scoring easily, I wondered if the Chiefs made a wrong decision to give them the ball first. My doubts were erased quickly in the second half. Chiefs didn't panick (10 pts deficit). Reid told them we have time. They ran the ball, got control of the game. Mahomes was phenomenal. He was obviously in pain at times. Chiefs always play well in the 4th quarter. As long as the game is close (less than two TD), they are capable of pulling off a win. Still I was worried because the Eagles are a very good team, and Hurts looked like Superman in the first three quarters. Chiefs couldn't afford to let him have the ball at the end.

Managing the clock is a big part of managing the game, with Wining as the goal. They play the game to win, and that's the way it should be, IMO. So I don't understand some of the criticism for not scoring a TD. A one point win is as good as a 30 point blow out win, and this was for the Lombardi trophy. Not many get a chance to win that.

Cachoo

Today is parade day and downtown will be a zoo. Glad today is a WFH day for me.
Gawd I hope Travis can calm down about the "no one believed in us" angle because that is simply untrue. YES, there were people who doubted the Chiefs could be champions without Tyreek but I think many more believed they could overcome that. And whining about it just isn't a good look.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Gawd I hope Travis can calm down about the "no one believed in us" angle because that is simply untrue. YES, there were people who doubted the Chiefs could be champions without Tyreek but I think many more believed they could overcome that. And whining about it just isn't a good look.
His personality has always bugged me. Not that he’s a bad person, I just find him annoying. :lol:

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Beach Bum

I saw a clip of another angle - he definitely gave a little tug on the jersey. And yes, he admits it.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Kelce and Mahomes bus is sighted!

No I'm not there. I'm watching on you tube. Our friend's son is on one of the buses. She sent a picture that was taken as he boarded the bus.

And Bud Lights are on all the buses as they are shown :ROFLMAO:

Cachoo

Well onto the business of football and I’m fascinated by it. The combine and draft, free agency, trying to maneuver within the salary cap. I will always love that football does not follow baseball’s way of doing things. The richest teams in baseball dominate as there is no revenue sharing. With the salary cap in football every team has a shot.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Well onto the business of football and I’m fascinated by it. The combine and draft, free agency, trying to maneuver within the salary cap. I will always love that football does not follow baseball’s way of doing things. The richest teams in baseball dominate as there is no revenue sharing. With the salary cap in football every team has a shot.
It's also a game of chess. Why some teams give their slot in draft order, why some teams draft someone expected to go high in draft then immediately trade them for another player or players.

Why someone like Mahomes or Purdy or Prescott or McCoy or even Brady I think aren't selected until 2nd or 3rd rounds. Wasn't Purdy an unndrafted quarterback?

Or how Heisman trophy winners coughTebowcough or coughCrouchcough or a few others just didn't produce results?

Lacey

Here's something interesting about the Eagles:

Both the Offensive & Defensive Coordinators for the Eagles announced the DAY AFTER THE SUPER BOWL that they are leaving immediately, like today, the day after the game, for Head Coaching positions. Good for them & their careers, but really, BOTH of them, & the NEXT DAY? No time to even put the year & championship game, that your team LOST, to bed, to say we really tried to get you to win, nice attempt? Were you really thinking about your this year's team yesterday? And together, were you in cahoots? Couldn't you have waited a month? PATHETIC!!!

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

Both the Offensive & Defensive Coordinators for the Eagles announced the DAY AFTER THE SUPER BOWL that they are leaving immediately, like today, the day after the game, for Head Coaching positions. Good for them & their careers, but really, BOTH of them, & the NEXT DAY? No time to even put the year & championship game, that your team LOST, to bed, to say we really tried to get you to win, nice attempt? Were you really thinking about your this year's team yesterday? And together, were you in cahoots? Couldn't you have waited a month? PATHETIC!!!
It's just business, after all.

Cachoo

It's also a game of chess. Why some teams give their slot in draft order, why some teams draft someone expected to go high in draft then immediately trade them for another player or players.

Why someone like Mahomes or Purdy or Prescott or McCoy or even Brady I think aren't selected until 2nd or 3rd rounds. Wasn't Purdy an unndrafted quarterback?

Or how Heisman trophy winners coughTebowcough or coughCrouchcough or a few others just didn't produce results?
Purdy was the very last person taken in the draft. Dead last. And look what he did. You see people who are "the sure thing" turn out to be busts and then someone like Purdy shines. I went back to see what the scouts said about Mahomes in college and they were not wrong about him. But they had no imagination of what he could be as a pro.

once_upon

Better off than 2020

Speculation is constant before, during, after the football season. Every single game commentators are remarking on which coordinator or assistant coach is under consideration for a head coaching job (either college level or NFL level).

Interviews and offers are discussed all season long. As well as player trades, free agents discussions.

A month is a long time in the NFL. Especially with limited potential jobs for head coaches. I would bet that the organization and players were not caught off guard.

I would bet there are players vying for trades. KC had a successful season in 2021-22 season but Tyrek Hill still left.

It's business.

Cachoo

Speculation is constant before, during, after the football season. Every single game commentators are remarking on which coordinator or assistant coach is under consideration for a head coaching job (either college level or NFL level).

Interviews and offers are discussed all season long. As well as player trades, free agents discussions.

A month is a long time in the NFL. Especially with limited potential jobs for head coaches. I would bet that the organization and players were not caught off guard.

I would bet there are players vying for trades. KC had a successful season in 2021-22 season but Tyrek Hill still left.

It's business.
Eric Bieniemy is headed to the Commanders.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Eric Bieniemy is headed to the Commanders.
Yeah, I think the commentators said it was probable move for at least the AFC championship game, but I think for the last 2 regular season games.

If commentators know possibilities-i suspect there is a list somewhere of.coaches seeking other employment interviews floating around. I doubt firings or hiring of coaches are surprising to anyone in the NFL.

ETA - I'm waiting for the Aaron Rodgers story line. The Packer fans I know are done with him. But much like Farve I think Rodgers isn't going quietly.

Cachoo

Yeah, I think the commentators said it was probable move for at least the AFC championship game, but I think for the last 2 regular season games.

If commentators know possibilities-i suspect there is a list somewhere of.coaches seeking other employment interviews floating around. I doubt firings or hiring of coaches are surprising to anyone in the NFL.

ETA - I'm waiting for the Aaron Rodgers story line. The Packer fans I know are done with him. But much like Farve I think Rodgers isn't going quietly.
I think Green Bay won’t want him in the NFC so I wonder if the Titans or the Raiders are a possibility in the AFC.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think Green Bay won’t want him in the NFC so I wonder if the Titans or the Raiders are a possibility in the AFC.
Isnt he a free agent? Green Bay signed him to.a huge contract 3 years ago, which until Mahomes contract was the highest one in the NFL. They may just want him gone.

I'm hoping the 49ers don't jump on him - maybe uncertain about Garofalo and Prudy's health. Or Sean Payton, now that he's left Saints and is head coach at Denver, or Texans, or Jets.

He's kind of toast in my estimation after trashing his O line. Who wants to protect someone who is a jerk? I say this as a previous Rodgers fan.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Good gawd Travis is hosting SNL. Now that takes guts.
He was on Fallon last night talking about it. I expected Travis to do some singing
I imagine there will be skits about mom and Jason. And someone playing a Patrick in a skit. Possibly something about Cincinnati's mayor.

Badams

The Eagles coach is from my area. I was rooting for the hometown boy. And definitely not KC. Maybe next season. Go Bills!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information