Takahiko Kozuka announces retirement

kittyjake5

Loved Taka's skating and quiet personality. He is the last of the three Musketeers (Oda and Dai) that ruled
Japan's men's figure skating back in the day to retire.

Wishing Taka all the best in the future and hopefully we will get to see
him perform in many ice shows. Thank you Taka!:cheer2:

Sylvia

TBD
Short article in English (sounds like the official announcement is still to come): http://kyodonews.net/news/2016/03/15/53356
Takahiko Kozuka, who won the men's silver medal at the 2011 world figure skating championships, is poised to retire, an informed source said Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Kozuka, who represented Japan at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, failed to qualify for this year's worlds after finishing fifth in December's national championships. Kozuka, who is completing his graduate program at Chukyo University this spring, will begin working for Toyota Motor Corp. in April.
All the best to him - such an elegant, smooth skater!

Last edited:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I remember at Skate America, I think 2012 (?) watching exhibition practice. The men who were doing their exhibition were practicing, and the entire time Kozuka was practicing his Simon & Garfunkle program, Jeremy Abbott was standing at the boards watching, with a smile. I think that was a great sign of respect to a wonderful skater, and a very special "unofficial" moment. Best of luck to Kozuka and his new wife!

Sylvia

TBD
Kozuka's retirement announcement in his blog today: http://www.t-kozuka.com/blog/2016/03/post-25c0.html

Google translation:

Season Womochimashite has decided to retire now.
The skate that started from the 5-year-old was come continued happily until now, skating officials of everyone, including the skating federation, school Umemura who supported as belongs and Toyota Motor Corporation of everyone,
And I am grateful that it is thanks to the many people such as a fan of everyone.

We were able to make a lot of memories in the active life. There are memories in one single game, but, in particular, played to the Vancouver Olympics, winning the All Japan Championships,
Second place in the world championship. All Japan Championship in 2013 Sochi Olympics that participation did not come true.
And in the All Japan Championship in 2014, in that no more There is also a Grand Prix I think such a result in the series influence of injury, it is acting that can finally convince, such as thinking that you have the guts pose,
I was able to be a valuable experience.

With regard to the future, but it will leave the ice, taking advantage of past experience,
We have decided to walk a new life as an employee of Toyota Motor Corporation.

Now big decision to be a milestone of life, but by the kindness of everyone of Toyota Motor Corporation and skating officials, April 17 at the Stars on Ice final performance, we had the opportunity to Greetings to everyone.

Continue, thank you enough for your guidance and encouragement.

Takahiko Kozuka

※ In addition, this website, it will be shut down on April 4, 2016.

Last edited:

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I will never forget discovering him while watching 2009 Worlds, and frantically looking at his and Oda's placements and just hoping it was enough for 3 men in Vancouver. Taka was so good, I could not imagine him being left at home.

I wish him all the best.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not too surprising, considering his struggles in recent years and the depth in mens field in Japan. He had so much potential! Somehow it never materialized. Best wishes to him for a bright future.

kittyjake5

So SOI will be his final performance on the ice.:(

Good luck Taka at Toyota Motors and Congrats on your marriage!!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
He had so much potential! Somehow it never materialized.
I think anyone who wins a World silver medal has realized his potential, even if was just one time on the big stage. :)

Kozuka's engagement was announced last July; has a wedding date been set?

ETA that I somehow missed seeing rosewood's earlier post that confirmed his marriage took place "a couple of weeks ago."

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
When he burst onto the scene I knew we would have a World Champion on our hands with him.

I loved his skating, his mature composure and his style.

Then throughout the past few seasons he wasnt able to compete as he did in his breakout years.

I will miss him sooo much, One of my FAVS!!!!!!!

VGThuy

I believe he got married already. This may have inspired his want to find more stable income.

personwhoishere

:( loved his skating, he achieved so much yet selfishly as a fan I always wanted more for him. I hope he's satisfied and proud of what he's accomplished in skating and finds fulfillment in his new career.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think anyone who wins a World silver medal has realized his potential, even if was just one time on the big stage. :)

Kozuka's engagement was announced last July; has a wedding date been set?

He had the potential to win multiple world medals and even a world championship.

Sylvia

TBD
Whoops, I somehow missed @rosewood's post earlier in this thread that mentioned his recent wedding! :shuffle: Thank you for translating, as always. :)
This article says Kozuka leaves the ice. He makes a new start as an employee in Toyota. He says he is given a chance for making a good-bye speech in the last show of JSOI on April 17.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160315-00000080-dal-spo
Kozuka and his fiance got married a couple of weeks ago.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160220-00000186-sph-spo

All the best for his future! :cheer2:

Rock2

I'm usually more bummed if a skater didn't get the opportunity to realize potential....or...is forced to leave on terms other than their own.....or....they don't have something imminent to look forward to in the next phase of their life.
I don't think any of this applies to Taka, so my take is one of being happy for his transition more than sad for his departure.

Well done, sir...and best wishes!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I was fortunate enough to see Kozuka live at 2010 TEB, and I'll remember his wonderful free skate rather than some of the more disappointing performances of recent years. He's a special skater and I hope he stays involved in skating in some way.
I was there too and I totally agree, he was fantastic there. One of his best performances IMO.

laviemn

Oh? I thought there're decent pro opportunities in Japan? I also think he would make a great basics coach.

I wonder if it's only really lucrative if you have Olympic medals or World titles?

Aw, the last one standing from the Takahashi era of Japanese men's. He is one the few skaters I enjoyed watching in exhibitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information