2024 US Nats Men FS: Succession would be The Impossible Dream but Silver is Up For Grabs

jlai

Question everything
I think the scores are off. That said, we all have gotten a break in our career that perhaps were lucky breaks. I'm only too glad the whole world doesn't hurl insults at me. :)

jlai

Question everything
Is analysis = "hurling insults"?
I get that everyone is mad that the skaters skating lights out got shortchanged, and rightly so. But that is not related to what Jason does or doesn't do/say in public. Jason is just Jason I am sure.

I'm sure we all in our lives have gotten a lucky break, whether we know about it or not.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Catching up here

CP. has never done it for me, and neither does this warhorse.

torg. Possibly one of the worst pieces of muse music, or music at all that has ever put me to sleep.

JB oh, Jason’s dad is hot. 🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆. These triple axels sure are more telegraphed than I remember them being. Well…hmmm ok. Will this stay on the podium?

Maxime starting strong, I guess he’s going to end up in silver the way this is going. Oh no. OK, overall really good I’m assuming he’ll stay in silver? Maybe bronze. What???? He’s gonna be off podium??????

IM. guess he does not need to bring out the heavy artillery tonight. Oh he does go for the quad axel. very cool. Oh no like Isabeau he seems to be falling apart.

Well, this was underwhelming a little bit

I hope Maxime is put on the world team

jlai

Question everything
Well, it's U.S. Nationals, so judges do what they do at U.S. Nationals. I can't get upset by it. I just want a U.S. man to come along who has the edges of Patrick Chan.
Exactly. Judges do what they do at nationals. People say they are mad at the judges and not skaters, but in reality, it's hard to differentiate between the two. (I know I have, back when certain skaters got the win I quesitoned, and then I would spend 100 posts criticizing that skater's skating or whatever)

YourBorneo

Now is the Winter of our missed content
I get that everyone is mad that the skaters skating lights out got shortchanged, and rightly so. But that is not related to what Jason does or doesn't do/say in public. Jason is just Jason I am sure.

I'm sure we all in our lives have gotten a lucky break, whether we know about it or not.
I can be angry at the judges and also annoyed at Jason’s extended bows and the excessive happy-clappy behavior. The latter is about graciousness and personal taste, not hurling insults at Jason, while the former is about the integrity (or lack thereof) with USFSA officials and how the scoring system is interpreted and applied. There is no need to conflate these two things.

Carolla5501

It’s figure skating. If the skater we like doesn’t win the best way to handle that is to claim my skater was robbed, etc. etc. it wouldn’t matter what happened somebody would be unhappy.

I’m not saying that the scoring was perfect and everything is right. I’m just figuring the chances of everybody being happy with their results of a figure skating competition are non-existent.

And some people will always take it into a personal attack. I’ve noticed over the years and a lot of people think the way to build up the skater they like is to insult attack and otherwise abuse the skaters they don’t like. luckily, I think most skaters ignore everything that gets posted on here and if they don’t, they really should 😀

I do find it amazing though that Jason is insulted for being what Jason has always been. Throughout his career when lose draw whatever he has always been an incredibly happy person. I don’t know why people think that is an act - it’s not it’s who he is. And just because we don’t like the judging does not mean he he’s going to change his personality Some of you have been complaining about this since the Riverdance skate. 😀

Time to move onto the next event everybody have a great day

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I can be angry at the judges and also annoyed at Jason’s extended bows and the excessive happy-clappy behavior. The latter is about graciousness and personal taste, not hurling insults at Jason, while the former is about the integrity (or lack thereof) with USFSA officials and how the scoring system is interpreted and applied. There is no need to conflate these two things.
Isn't Jason always happy clappy in general?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
If the skater we like doesn’t win the best way to handle that is to claim my skater was robbed, etc. etc.
I don’t really have any “my skater” in US skating right now. I have several dance teams I prefer and want Amber to skate well but no preferences in Men/Pairs. I just want judging to be fair, when you review some skaters jumps and not others that is robbery.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I think the last time I was this mad about US Nationals was when Ilia was left off the Olympic team and I didn't even care about Ilia at the time.

I feel like the fix was in -- in really obvious ways. Is it really coincidence that Naumov's flip getting a full-blown "e" is the one call in the entire event that was harsher than what international panels have done? So many calls ignored, and this one is the only one in the entire event that's mysteriously harsher?

Brown's GOEs were also completely crazy: +4s and +5s for those stalked axels? Positive GOE for the loop he turned out of? 10s?!?! They weren't even trying to hide what they were doing.

At least when Malinin was left off the Olympic team, they gave him the placement and used the lame "Body of Work" excuse. This was just outright manipulation of the results by both the tech panel and the judges.

Evgeniafan

If he was in the same form he was last year I think he'd be fine. Top 10 will have Malinin, 3 Japanese men, Siao Him Fa, probably Britschhgi, and everything else is up for grabs. Can Aleksandr Seleveko, or Frangipani repeat what he did at Europeans? Has Cha's ankle injury healed? I don't know who else you were thinking of, or if I'm forgetting someone obvious (probably am), but I don't think there's as much depth as you think there is.
Boyang Jin, Korea has 3 spots, Deniss, Nikloaj.

jlai

Question everything
At least when Malinin was left off the Olympic team, they gave him the placement and used the lame "Body of Work" excuse. This was just outright manipulation of the results by both the tech panel and the judges.
US isn't the only fed that deviates from nationals. Japan does that too, and sometimes wrongly too (except we don't often have 100 posts about it :) )

As for 10s, if Camden and Maxim got 85 pcs for their jump focused program, then I think Jason's is okayish. I think everyone's pcs is just inflated. Like should Paniot even get 70s something for basically no choreography?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I feel like the fix was in -- in really obvious ways. Is it really coincidence that Naumov's flip getting a full-blown "e" is the one call in the entire event that was harsher than what international panels have done? So many calls ignored, and this one is the only one in the entire event that's mysteriously harsher?

Brown's GOEs were also completely crazy: +4s and +5s for those stalked axels? Positive GOE for the loop he turned out of? 10s?!?! They weren't even trying to hide what they were doing.

Can't use BOW when your chosen #2 doesn't have a BOW to fall back upon. ;)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There shouldn't be "lucky breaks" in judging. Yes, it's a subjective process, but there are at least partially objective guidelines around those subjective guidelines. The issue here IMO is that the objective guidelines were possibly not applied consistently to every skater.

Baby Yoda On Skates

The edge call was what tipped it over the edge for me. I was already pissed about the Pairs result from last night and ChoBat's coronation. Why bother having Nationals factor into assignments if they have to cheat to give said assignments? It's utter garbage and makes Nationals completely meaningless. Might as well go all the way now.

jlai

Question everything
There shouldn't be "lucky breaks" in judging. Yes, it's a subjective process, but there are at least partially objective guidelines around those subjective guidelines. The issue here IMO is that the objective guidelines were possibly not applied consistently to every skater.
Just like there shouldn't be lucky breaks with promotions and job applications either. It's a subjective process, and there are partially objective guidelines consistently applied to every applicant/employee. etc etc.
Having said that, I often feel like US judges are a bit like the audience, getting carried away with arena sentiments easily. That yes, I think they don't trust Camden and Naumov in the same team.

Baby Yoda On Skates

Like I said above, what are they going to do once Jason decides he's done for real? The man is almost 30 years old with degrading tech. He's had a lot of injuries and freely admits he can't train like he used to.

Send the ones who have been skating, training, and can continue to improve. They aren't going to get experience watching Worlds from their living rooms.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Just like there shouldn't be lucky breaks with promotions and job applications either. It's a subjective process, and there are partially objective guidelines consistently applied to every applicant/employee. etc etc.
Having said that, I often feel like US judges are a bit like the audience, getting carried away with arena sentiments easily. That yes, I think they don't trust Camden and Naumov in the same team.

A job interview and a skating competition are not the same thing. Both having subjective elements doesn't make them comparable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information