2023 World Synchro Championships, March 31-April 1, Lake Placid, NY

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a thread in GSD for higher visibility...

ISU's event info page: https://www.isu.org/synchronized-sk...onized-skating-championships?templateParam=11
Detailed time & pracctice schedule (official practice starts on Thursday, March 30): https://results.isu.org/schedules/SYSWC2023_Schedule.pdf

Entries as of March 10: https://results.isu.org/events/wsysc2023_SynchronizedSkating.htm
No. Name Nation
1 Team Unity AUS 1
2 Team Les Supremes CAN 2
3 Team Nexxice CAN 2
4 Team Zagreb Snowflakes CRO 3
5 Team Olympia CZE 4
Team Darlings CZE 4 S
6 Team Fusion ESP 5
7 Team Helsinki Rockettes FIN 6
8 Team Unique FIN 6
Team Marigold Ice Unity FIN 6 S
9 Team Zoulous FRA 7
10 Team Icicles Senior GBR 8
11 Team Berlin 1 GER 9
12 Team United Angels GER 9
13 Team Passion HUN 10
14 Team Hot Shivers ITA 11
15 Team Jingu Ice Messengers JPN 12
16 Team Amber LAT 13
17 Team Ice United NED 14
18 Team Ice Fire Senior POL 15
19 Team Starlight Elite SUI 16
20 Team Inspire SWE 17
21 Team Golden Roses TUR 18
22 Team Haydenettes USA 19
23 Team Miami University USA 19
Team Skyliners USA 19 S
Teams Elite USA 19 S

USFS' event page with ticket info: https://www.usfigureskating.org/event/isu-world-synchronized-skating-championships-2023

This competition will be livestreamed in the U.,S. for Peacock Premium subscribers - Short Program on Friday, March 31 starting at 6:00pm Eastern time & Free Skate on Saturday, April 1 at 3:30pm ET.

USFS' press release:

Skate Canada's press release:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Finnish federation's press release:
Machine translated excerpt:
The World Figure Skating Championships start on Friday in Lake Placid, USA. Finland will be represented on the ice by Helsingfors Skridskoklubb's Team Unique and Helsinki Figure Skating Club's Helsinki Rockettes, both of whom have full chances for the podium and even the World Cup gold in the tough competition.
The same teams were supposed to represent Finland in Lake Placid already in 2020, but then the competitions had to be canceled due to the corona pandemic. Now the teams will get their chance from March 31st to April 1st. in the world championships to be held, in which 23 teams from 20 countries participate.

ISU's preview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbH1NmPzfzo

Just wondering if any FSUers are planning to attend in person?

Willin

Weeks later an I'm still baffled that USFS chose Miami over 3 other Senior teams that all got higher international scores... Hell, Miami only got the silver at Nationals through some sort of riggory. Based on international results, the Finnish will get two on the podium with Canada getting the third spot. But in which order?

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's preview article (March 30): https://www.isu.org/synchronized-sk...onized-skating-championships?templateParam=15
"The ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships will be live streamed on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel [click here]. Geo-restrictions will apply in markets where TV rights are in place. You will find the full list on the Where to Watch webpage here [link]."

Fan Zone article on USA's Haydenettes:

FSO's preview article: https://figureskatersonline.com/new...isu-world-synchronized-skating-championships/

ETA link to the Fan Zone article on the Miami University team (March 30):

NED will be represented by Team Ice United:

Synchro Worlds will be broadcast in Sweden via Viaplay: https://www.skatesweden.se/nyheter/...foljer-du-vm-i-synkroniserad-konstakning-2023

Last edited:

just tuned in

Has Turkey recovered mostly from their recent earthquake? This practice has been very shaky. That sounds like a joke, but I don’t mean it that way. They has only 15 skaters and they seemed slow and cautious.

just tuned in

Usually it's the top two from Nationals, but occasionally a team with a better record at international competitions from the season get on the Worlds team.
No,I mean, USA has 2 spots, same with CAN, GER, FIN. How high do our teams need to place to keep the two spots for next year?

Willin

@just tuned in A lot of the girls that go to Miami don't go for school, and everyone I know who attended but one skater wound up transferring to a better school after a year or two of skating.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@just tuned in A lot of the girls that go to Miami don't go for school, and everyone I know who attended but one skater wound up transferring to a better school after a year or two of skating.
Willin - I thought the selections for Jr Worlds were also suspect. The Lexettes didn't have as good of placements as Team Image, but they were named to the Jr Worlds team because Nats was the week before. Then, Lexettes got a$$es handed to them again at Nats by Team Image. It was an interesting choice, especially when they didn't skate all that well at Jr Worlds either.

Last edited:

Willin

@Karen-W I actually heard this from (of all people) a Haydenettes mom. She felt US synchro was hurting because it was propping up one organization above all (Hayden) then Miami/Skyliners, and then outright ignoring and shafting the rest of the Junior/Senior teams. She thought Teams Elite or Skyliners was the obvious second choice.

But I feel that, at the same time, at least the Lexettes won a Junior international competition a couple weeks prior to Nationals - it didn't excuse the weird choice, but at least they'd had international success. I think everyone at Nationals I spoke to agreed that the Lexettes would never have gone to worlds if not for their strong international results; domestically they did not match up, and even 3rd at Nationals was generous - Teams Elite should've beat them.

Like, there's no excuse for propping up Miami when they literally finished dead last in international scoring potential. I think every team but them and Adrian got 200+ points at least once if not multiple times this season (So Hayden, Elite, and Skyliners). Adrian got a score like 196-198, but Miami's best was like 192. The US is shooting themselves in the foot especially since Hayden is getting weaker and weaker every season and they need to find and support many worthy rivals.

just tuned in

Almost time for official practice for the short program!! Arena is playing Beach Boy’s “Good Vibrations” which is such a fantastic choice I wonder why no one has ever thought of it before.

A couple more notes about the venue. No restrictions about bringing in food and water. The bag checkers are looking only for weapons. There are no magnatromers. The bag checker guys are so cute, they said they have a Facebook and instagram page called BagLookers. Said they love to look in bags. :rofl: I asked if I could bring in water. They said, “Only if it not boiling.”

The beer concessions are out in the open, not behind cages. There was a beer delivery yesterday and there were like, a million cases of beer all around the inner concourse. Not covered, not protected. Good thing it wasn’t popcorn, or I might have committed a crime.

just tuned in

Turkey on the ice with mid-Eastern program and vaguely Egypt-hands. Falls, missed holds, and so sloooowwww. Hope they do better for competition, or maybe they are just happy to be here.

just tuned in

Netherland: Fix You. It‘s nice, and the ending is effective. Loved their warm-up block!

GBR: Thumping medley with reggae influences that included Grown Woman. Some parts sharp, some parts frantic.

Latvia: Exogenisis. Weak SS and some yikes:yikes:moments. ETA: I walked past Latvia in the concours. These women are like 6 feet tall.

Japn Jingu Ice Messengers (best team name). lol, the height difference between these ladies and the Latvians. Music is Lala Land, if Lala Land were heavily orchestrated and an opera. Powerfu, and I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

just tuned in

Spain. Literally a slow tinkly piano version of Star Wars. Violin. Oboe. Brass. Cymbal. Human moaning. Brass. Tinkly piano. Did they skate? I don’t know, too focused on the insane music. It ended with their guy and a girl in a semi- embrace, but I don’t know why.

Australia: Blues, rock. Never Tear Us Apart. They have 5 guys on the team! Their program is so exciting that I almost cried. Totally jazzed for this!

Czech Republic: MJ. smooth criminal. They are into it! Really great.

Italy. a sweet countrified version of Hallelujah. Their skating is very pretty.

Sweden. Black Betty. Too loud.

Croatia. Their music had a balalaika and quick rhythm. Folk-ish. I am rooting for Croatia because it is a lovely country and nice population and they have had so much trouble with nasty Montenegro. Alas, this team is skating slow and messy. Disorganized and not much expression.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information