Sexist remarks against WTA

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I watched this last night on TV, and read about it this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/21/tennis/indian-wells-tennis-raymond-moore/index.html

This is so insulting to these top lady athletes, and to tennis itself.

I am so glad that Serena spoke up against those remarks, and I am sure more will. The 'guilty' person Raymond apologized immediately. However, that apology seems a bit weak to me. He only apologized for Saying what he did; he is not going to change his opinion (that women in tennis are lucky that they ride the coattails of men). He did add kind remarks for Serena and Vika at the end, but that was just CYA.

Last edited:

Rottie

Exactly, Meoima. Then Djokovic expressed the opinion, which I gather is shared by many of the men, that purses should be determined by attendance and television ratings, and I'm thinking: "Be careful what you wish for, because someday the shoe will be on the other foot."

Cachoo

This bs has been happening since the days of Billie Jean King. Frankly I prefer the women's game because it has power but it also has rallies. When the guys win on ace after ace or the ball getting back once and then the point is over is dull to me compared to what the women do on the court. I loved Federer in his prime because there were rallies and he was so brilliant. But these days give me the women.

ilovepaydays

I don't understand these comments about women's tennis not bringing in crowds like the men. Weren't their massive number of fans during the Martina Navratilova vs. Chris Evert years?

Cachoo

Well if they ever want to split the tour I'm going to see the women and their rallies as opposed to the men acing each other to quick set points. This man's comments were so crass---since he has resigned maybe we will see a woman hired to replace him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information