2024–25 Canadian Women: News and Updates

shutterbug

Rob Brodie's latest substack article about Lulu Lin: https://rwbrodiewrites.substack.com/p/the-magic-of-lulu-lin

While Lin’s intent is to move up to senior domestically next season, she still isn’t age eligible for that level internationally. But she’s willing to be patient for that time to come, even if it means a few more years toiling in junior.

“I think there’s always something that I can do to improve, and having a lot of years in junior will help set me up better for senior,” she said.
Already, the work is starting to up the technical ante for next season. Her long program this season included triple Lutz-double toe and triple flip-double toe combinations — her short featured a triple toe-triple toe — but she’s looking for more. And that means ramping it up higher.

“I’m working to get a new triple-triple combo as well as improve the more artistic side of my skating … to be able to connect to the music more,” she said. “I’m working toward a triple Lutz-triple toe. It’s going pretty good. I’ve been able to land one or two a day, but I think doing more and more repetitions over the next couple of months will be able to help smooth that out and make it consistent. It hoping to have it in both my short and my long.”

Colonel Green

Andrew Evans was posting little training clips of Lulu for years on his Instagram Stories, from when she was very young, so seeing her out on the international scene has definitely been an adjustment.

shutterbug

Rob Brodie's latest interview with Kaiya Ruiter: https://rwbrodiewrites.substack.com/p/im-grateful-for-every-opportunity
We’re still very early in the formative stages of a new campaign for most every skater, but the 18-year-old Ruiter is already over the moon enthused about the free program choreographer David Wilson is building for her. It’ll be skated to music from the soundtrack of the 2017 superhero movie Wonder Woman. And while she’ll tell you that she is “very much” into that genre, she credits Wilson with presenting the idea to her.

“It was David that had the idea and I’m full on board with it, for sure,” said Ruiter, whose previous two long programs were crafted by Wilson. “So I love the character. It’s really fun. I love it and what David has done in just a few days … I’m already in love with it.
While Ruiter says they’re “over halfway” through the creative process, the short program work is still in its infancy. For this season, she’s turned to Montreal-based choreographer Julie Marcotte to create that program.

“She did my show program for Stars On Ice and we had such a great time that we’re going to do a short program … which is really exciting for me.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information